YS140 DZ idle speed

Troy Newman troy_newman at msn.com
Thu May 22 17:44:43 AKDT 2003

Message1900-2000

I'm set a little rich on the bottom so when it first starts up its idling pretty low and acting to die off....Then as it heats up during the first downwind pass the idle gets very consistent.  and maybe speeds up just a little....

It doesn't die in the air....so I'm not concerned....but as I come into land its a little faster and needs to be dropped down a couple clicks on the trim....

Hope this helps....no its not like the guys with their 2 strokes doing 1500rpms...but it works very consistent and well for me....I have been burning lots of fuel lately and getting consistency is the name of the game to me....

Another note guys with the DZ's I'm finding a reduced performance at about 60-70 flights...the first sign is idle consistency...Pull the plug and look at it....Its usually carbon colored up on the outside pretty good and the element has a little build up (crystal style) Change the plug and all goes back to being very consistent. This plug issue knocks about 200rpms off the top and makes for what seems to be a richer idle.....I tried leaning the bottom end out slightly 1/8 turn and reset the top and this issue has not surfaced in 70 flights and counting now.....I hit the 70 flights on that plug today and it seems to be OK so far......I will know for sure. By the way the plug is by no means gone....it still looks good save the crystals and the carbon color on the outside....
This is with both OS and YS plugs....and in all actuality is on the order of 6-7 gallons of fuel so its not a bad life span....I just have never flown so much in a short period before to notice the issue before now.

Troy Newman

Troy Newman