Aileron servos

Bob Kane getterflash at yahoo.com
Thu May 22 06:20:38 AKDT 2003

Take a look at the Airtronics 94357Z or the 94758Z. Very fast.

Adam Glatt <adam.g at sasktel.net> wrote:
I recently switched from a 60oz/inch, 0.22sec/60deg digital servos in the ailerons (JR 3301) to 80oz/inch, 0.10sec/60deg digital servos (JR 8417).  Also, the 8417 weighs a full ounce more than the 3301, so I added two ounces of weight, and they cost quite a bit more.
  I noticed a small improvement in rolling response, but a large improvement in snaps.  The plane will get up to full snapping rotation speed much sooner (especially on the P-03 45deg up snap, where the power is on and speed is high), and stop rotating much sooner.  The difference is probably 15 degrees less rotation with the 8417 after you end the snap inputs, and this makes it a lot easier to stop the snap where you are supposed to.

That's my experience. I think the lesson is that, regardless of weight, having servos with a speed of well under 0.2sec/60deg makes a big improvement.

Also, looking at JR, Futaba, and Hobbico servo lineup, I see many servos well under 0.2sec.

Adam Glatt
(wishing someone had told him this before he bought the 3301s :)

Bob Kane
getterflash at yahoo.com