How to YS push rod cover O ring ?

Bill Glaze billglaze at triad.rr.com
Wed May 21 12:37:32 AKDT 2003

Paul:
You don't really need to touch the valve adjustments, at least at this time.
Loosen the head bolts, and remove them.  BTW: there are five bolts, in a pentagonal pattern. (At
least on the 1.20-1.40 series; not sure about the .53/.63 series.)  The one that is heavily
recessed is easy to miss.
Once the head is loose, carefully remove it, taking care with the intake manifold; it too is
sealed with O-rings, which can be damaged if not careful.
The O-rings are now easily checked/changed.  Be careful of the pushrods.
Make sure when reassembling the head to the crankcase, that the pushrods are well seated in the
lifters.  Tighten the head very slowly, making sure that there is no binding of the bolts or the
pushrods; they could be bent easily if not properly seated in the rocker arms and lifters.
Make sure the head gasket is properly positioned; this could be damaged if it slips while
reassembling.  If assembly is correct, the valve adjustment should still be correct.  (Assuming it
was correct in the first place.)
Just a few things that I've mentioned; it really isn't that complicated.
Just go slow, and use your head; it'll work out.

# discussion-request at nsrca.org