Nats RPM check

Ron Van Putte vanputte at nuc.net
Wed May 21 11:48:24 AKDT 2003

Bob Kane wrote:

> Depending on when Advanced class flies, I would give up a morning or
> afternoon to take RPM measurements from any willing subjects. I would
> propose measuring RPM and temperature, then record fuel, prop, motor
> make and model, glow plug, header, pipe, and engine mount type. We
> could announce it at the pilot's meeting Sunday evening so people
> could ponder it and be ready if they are willing.
>
>    I'm not sure if it could be done during the Final's sound check,
> only one person can be by the plane and in FAI the pilot is on the
> clock so would not want to take extra time for an RPM check. Besides,
> a condition switch might be limiting max rpm  ( did I say that out
> loud ! ) :)

I think it would be great to have these tests done on a voluntary basis,
at a time other than during an official flight.  The clock IS stopped
during all noise checks, but the additional measurements and data taking
would interfere with flightline operation.

If we could get other people to participate, we could cover
morning/afternoon for as long as there were pilots willing to be tested.
 Any more volunteers?

Ron Van Putte

# discussion-request at nsrca.org