My Mintor setup

patterndude at attbi.com patterndude at attbi.com
Tue May 20 13:59:15 AKDT 2003

Eric and Jim have been posting their setup and performance numbers but my setup
was a little different and I want to share this info as I think it's useful.

I broke my 2 Mintors in on a bench as described here before and also posted on
our www.aeroslave.com website.  This made the transition to the plane less
eventful.  My first setup was Mintor 170, 17x12N, Magnum 10%, Mintor carbon
pipe, Mintor header cut down 1.5", mounted inverted in an Aries.  Engine ran a
bit rich and erratic at 0-1/3 throttle.  I decided to increase the nitro to 15%
and reset the high end needle one click.  It ran much better at all throttle
settings.
The first two flights took about 20 flips to get it to run.  My Kavan starter
wont turn it over yet, but the engine is still new and has that mushy
compression.  It will soon have more of a compression "pop" over the top and
then I can use the starter if needed.
>From the 3rd flight onward the engine started on the 2nd flip and was improving
in the air.  In the air the engine ran flawlessly from the beginning, but the
power was definitely coming up as the day progressed. By the end of the gallon
of fuel it was scary power.  Had to do avalanches with the throttle at mid
point.  I was delaying throttle on loop entry, then if I throttled full, the
plane would accelerate around the loop so fast that the timing was harder.

My performance numbers were consistently a bit better than Eric's report. I set
the idle at 2000 where it was reliable.  High end was 8400 - 8500 on the ground
all day, but the power kept improving in the air.  No burps or delays.  I know
Jim Woodward also claimed a bit higher performance numbers than Eric's 8100 rpm
on the same prop (Cool power 15%) and Jim had trimmed his header 1".  My
conclusion is that there's a lot more power in this engine than Eric is seeing,
if you take the time to tune it.  On the other hand, maybe that's not necessary.

Jim is using the Mintor pipe.  Eric, can you comment on the exact ES model you
used and the distance to the first baffle?  I'll compare that to the Mintor
dimensions.  Why aren't you using your Mintor pipe?

--Lance
# discussion-request at nsrca.org