micro-balloons etc

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Sun May 18 20:35:32 AKDT 2003

In a message dated 5/18/2003 8:42:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Tom.Koenig at actewagl.com.au writes:

> Subj:micro-balloons etc
> Date:5/18/2003 8:42:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:Tom.Koenig at actewagl.com.au">Tom.Koenig at actewagl.com.au</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:discussion at nsrca.org">discussion at nsrca.org</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>

> Help.....please
>
> Gray, Matt, Lance.... anyone.
>
> I have a huge tub at home that is a white fluffy powder, which weighs
> nothing...( Nooooo....not that sort of powder<VBG>) I dont know wether it
> is
> micro balloons or cabosil, or whatever.
> When I mix it with epoxy it sort of forms the white stuff which you
> commonly
> see in the corners of layups ( to help lay the glass), but it isnt quite
> the
> same, it seems to be more translucent.
> Am I not mixing properly? It seems that when I keep adding more powder it
> becomes too dry and unworkable. It also doesn't seem that light which makes
> me think it isnt micro balloons. Is it the resin I'm using ( LC 3600)?
>
> Sorry for the moronic question...but how can I tell what I've got? Also
> what
> exactly is used as the fillers in the ZN kits, Bollys etc ? Do they use a
> thixotropic additive in the resin when they form the fillets etc.
>
> Thanks guys
>
> Tom

Tom It's probably cabosil fumed silica. This material makes epoxy thixotropic
when used in smaller quantities. I don't like it as filler because it is very
tough to sand. But as an additive to epoxy for mold making, it's great stuff,
since it produces a pretty hard surface, and very smooth finish.

Matt