F3A Biplanes have a future!

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Tue May 13 12:20:55 AKDT 2003

In a message dated 5/12/2003 11:36:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Peter.Pennisi at publicworks.qld.gov.au writes:

> Subj:RE: F3A Biplanes have a future!
> Date:5/12/2003 11:36:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:Peter.Pennisi at publicworks.qld.gov.au">Peter.Pennisi at publicworks.qld.gov.au</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:discussion at nsrca.org">discussion at nsrca.org</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>

> Matt,
>
> Do you have any pictures of the "Express" it would certainly make some
> interesting viewing?
>
> Peter

Peter,

Take a look at Andre' Bouchard's column in the KFactor, around February I
think. He has a small amount of info on The Express, and a photo or two. He
also talks of his experience flying the plane. Andre' is a top tier F3A
competitor in US.

The plane doesn't look conventional, as might be expected. The dorsal and
ventral strakes at the AC, are incredibly functional, and give the model the
best knife handling character of anything available today. In addition, the
wing planform is much different than the typical modern pattern model, with a
root chord to tip chord ratio of near 4. It helps make the model snap better
and stop quicker than anything I have seen, but very light weight is the real
key to stopping that fast ( less than 8 lbs for a full 2x2m 1000 sq in
model).

regards