Practicing in Strong Winds

don szczur dszczur at maranatha.net
Mon May 12 21:17:43 AKDT 2003

Yes, yesterday I was at  full throttle a good portion of the flights.  The wings were shaking real bad but the plane held together fine.

Flight simulator is good for rolling circle and rolling loops, if doing F3A.

But the G2 is also good for other rolling maneuvers.  I encourage Bryan and other intermediate flyers to add top rudder during roll segments, whether its half roll, opposite half roll, or even in something simple like a cuban 8.  The top rudder keeps the line segment with roll on a string.  Flight simulator helps immensely with this (learned rudder input).  There, your homework assignment.

So your not lonely, for Advanced or Masters, don't forget the left rudder during the half inside loop (over the top, like in a humpty bump).  Gyroscopic effect always pulls the plane to the right during that segment of maneuver.  Likewise a little right rudder when pushing over the top of an outside loop segment (like a figure 9).  This correction for gyroscopic drift is necessary for perfect scoring, unless you want the gyroscopic effect to seamlessly self-correct for wind drift. But otherwise put the rudder in as described above.  Although much more pronounced in TOC size models, this is still needed for pattern planes, even with the right thrust set up for basically hands off vertical uplines.

P.S.  If you have a JR 10X, I'll show the super secret but simple settings, on the scripted sequence of flight switches.  My favorite is the throttle curve.

Its late so before I give away all the secrets, good night.

Lots of cheer,
Don