Mintor

Woodward James R Civ 412 TW/DRP/ACQ James.Woodward2 at edwards.af.mil
Mon May 12 08:23:13 AKDT 2003

Hi Ihncheol,

The rpms/props may look similar, but the 170 was noticeably more powerful in
the air.  The 140 runs VERY smooth and has good power.  The 170 shakes a
little more at idle, but has more power.  With a 20 oz tank I can fly 2
masters patterns and a little more (170).  The engine will give a burp when
the tank is about out.  The 8100 rpm for the 170 might not make it the rpm
king on the ground, but it seemed very powerful in the air.

As for how rich the engines are running?  I don't know.  I use the
"pinch-the-fuel-line" technique for finding the peak, then I back it off a
few clicks, then I fly it.  If it sags on uplines, I land and richen it 1
click and try again.  After doing using method, the ground running was in
the 8100 range.  I would not characterize them as running rich.  If they
are, the twin plugs is helping to hide the signs of it which would usually
show up in transition.  I played around with it this weekend and went from a
"rich" midrange to what I thought was about right.  If it gives a loud pop
with pushing from inverted flight while adding power, the midrange is too
lean.

Jim