OS 1.40 Dies at Throttle Up

AtwoodDon at aol.com AtwoodDon at aol.com
Sun May 11 09:09:22 AKDT 2003

In a message dated 5/11/2003 10:03:21 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
ronlock at comcast.net writes:

> Hi  all,
>
> I have an OS 1.40 with only 15  flights on it.  Break in  and first 15
> flights
>  over last couple of months were fine.
>
> Yesterday first two flights were fine. Carried plane to take off position
> for
>  third flight, engine went rich and died at throttle up.   Re-started and
>  got same result.   Changed to new OS-F plug, and went to lighter
>  load prop.   Same result.  Set high  speed needle to near peak.
>  Same result.   Been using same jug of 15% nitro fuel for all flights.
>  Pipe is Bolly 26 inches piston face to baffel- same as first 15 flights.
>  Ive checked fuel lines, tank, remote needle, carb,  for leaks, and for
>  flow -  all seems OK.
>
> I discovered I  can blow air thru the pump in  the direction of fuel flow,
>
> but not backwards.    Anyone  know, is that normal?
>
> Other suggestions?  -  What changed between 15th and attempt at
>  16th flight?
>
> Thanks,   Ron Lockhart

Don't know if this applies, but you might want to check your Bolly pipe to
see if the baffle has come loose.  A friend of mine had a baffle come loose
in his CF pipe (not Bolly) and had similar problems.  Replacing the pipe
cured the problems........

Don Atwood