Kavan charging

Bob Kane getterflash at yahoo.com
Wed May 7 08:52:17 AKDT 2003

The "switch" on the Kavan starter is really a cam lever which lets one of the brushes make contact with the commutator as you press down. As the brushes wear, the point where the starter starts turning occurs with the lever closer and closer to the starter body, until eventually it will not run with the lever pushed all the way in. I have stretched the life of mine slightly by filing the brush where the lever makes contact. Hobby Lobby sells replacement brushes for around $10.

Brian Young <b4598070 at yahoo.com> wrote:Something I noticed on my Kavan, which is a few
seasons old, when I put a new pack on it I wasnt
getting the performance I expected. I noticed the
switch could vary the speed. So I took it apart and
found the switch is a lever which lifts the brush from
the rotor. So I cleaned it up, cleaned rotor, and put
it all back together and it still didnt work to well.
So I took the lever out which drops the brush onto the
rotor permanently and plugged into my battery, much
better. So off to radio shack, I bought a momentary PB
switch and used that on my battery case instead. FWIW
Im much happier with it and it saved me buying a new
starter.

If you take yours apart be aware that the brushes are
spring loaded, you can stick a long pin through a
couple of holes in the cover of the motor which picks
up the brushes and holds them for reassembly.

--- Woodward James R Civ 412 TW/DRP/ACQ

=====
Brian Young
Tulsa