Webra 145

Ihncheol Park PatternFlyer at msn.com
Mon May 5 12:33:51 AKDT 2003

Well, I just did a search on Propylene Oxide and found this.

"Propylene oxide is a volatile, flammable liquid that is soluble in water,
alcohol, and ether. It is highly dangerous when exposed to heat or flame. It
has a violent reaction with hydrogen chloride, chlorosulfonic acid, hydrogen
fluoride, and oleum.

It should not be stored in the presence of acids, bases, chlorides of iron,
aluminum, and tin, or peroxides of iron and aluminum; any of these may cause
violent polymerization.

Propylene oxide is miscible with most organic solvents, and forms a
two-layer system with water. It is incompatible with anhydrous metal
chlorides, iron, strong acids, caustics, and peroxides, and reacts
vigorously with oxidizing materials. When exposed to flame, propylene oxide
will burn with a hot flame like isopropyl if not confined, but it may
explode if confined. Polymerization may occur due to high temperatures or
contamination with alkalis, aqueous acids, amines, and acidic alcohols.

Health effect:
Propylene oxide is classified as a substance which may reasonably be
anticipated to be a carcinogen, according to the Sixth Annual Report on
Carcinogens, published by the National Toxicology Program, U.S. Department
of Health and Human Services. It is also classified as a carcinogen in EPA’s
Toxic Release Inventory (TRI). If it is inhaled or ingested, or makes eye or
skin contact, it can irritate the eyes, upper respiratory system, lungs, and
skin. "

Our engines are made of aluminum.
I hope it is not in our fuel.

Ihncheol