3M Mintor 170 questions

Dean Pappas d.pappas at kodeos.com
Mon May 5 10:22:39 AKDT 2003

Hey Eric,
The 17-13N on an O.S./Bolly EQ140 wanted a 27-1/4" length for tractability, but a 26-1/2" length for good horsepower and minimal richening in W.O.T. level flight.
With the Hattori #900, the length was 25-1/2".

My experience with the 3M 140 and its stock carbon pipe is that it wants ~1" between it and the stock header. I don't know, off the top of my head, where that puts the first baffle, but it looks short. If the 170 runs like the 140, what you will discover is a pipe length that is very little compromised (lengthened) for mid-range, and carburetion that makes the midrange behave despite this. You might even hear a hit of short-pipe "strangle" on the ground. I suspect that the second baffle plays an important part too.

Call me here at work ...
Dino