Carbon rods?

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Mon Mar 31 15:20:36 AKST 2003

In a message dated 3/31/2003 6:55:20 PM Eastern Standard Time,
BCripe7350 at aol.com writes:

> From:<A HREF="mailto:BCripe7350 at aol.com">BCripe7350 at aol.com</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:discussion at nsrca.org">discussion at nsrca.org</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>

> Hello, I am in the process of building an airplane (Beat-On) and was
> thinking about using cf rods similar to the nyrod method.  CST sells them
> in 050.  I saw them used in a couple pattern planes a few years ago.  Is
> anybody still using them?  Are they strong enough for elevator and rudder?
> Any good tips or tricks?
>
> Thanks,
> Bill Cripe
> Tustin Ca

Bill,

The diameter may be a little small to push the considerable load of the
control surfaces in flight, without bending. You might want to try the 070"
rods, and get the teflon liners to go with them. You will need to support the
teflon tubes every 7" or so but you should wind up with a very nice set-up if
your mind set is "push-rods or bust"

Another thought might be to use the 050" rods in pull-pull configuration,
unsupported.

Yet another thought is to use 1/8"x.070" carbon tubes as outers and the 050s
as inners in true Nyrod configuration. If you extended the 1/8"  outer tubes
really close to the control surface, then the 050" inner rods would work okay
without buckling. The advantage of this would be that the outers are very
straight and would not require much support to stay straight under load. And
they would be far easier to retrofit a finished model

regards

Matt Kebabjian