Re two batteries, was Miracle switch failures

WHIP23 at aol.com WHIP23 at aol.com
Mon Mar 31 15:07:26 AKST 2003

In a message dated 3/31/03 6:54:27 AM Pacific Standard Time,
tomanekw at saic-abingdon.com writes:

> Just FYI
>

> I did use a similar two-battery system; the problem is that you have to
> find a high capacity diode (I used at least 1.5 Amp or higher, which is
> better).  The voltage drop is 0.7 for silicon diodes, this works well with
> 5C batteries.  However, using diodes introduces an additional single point
> of failure but having two independent systems balances this to some degree.

There is no single failure point in the system as I described it, you would
have to have a failure in both legs at the same time.  Failure of the diode
would simply put you back to a single battery system.  The whole idea of this
scheme is that it is truly redundant from battery to receiver.

Bob