Re two batteries, was Miracle switch failures

s.vannostrand at kodak.com s.vannostrand at kodak.com
Fri Mar 28 14:41:55 AKST 2003

Thanks Bob.  Your advice appears sound to me.  I'm printing this one.
--Lance

WHIP23 at aol.com
Sent by: discussion-request at nsrca.org
03/28/2003 05:00 PM
Please respond to discussion

        To:     discussion at nsrca.org
        cc:
        Subject:        Re two batteries, was Miracle switch failures

Ok third try, I must be e-mail challenged!!

Hi Guys

All the "battery backup systems" I have seen put something of unknown
reliability/untested in the critical path.  The best setup is two
batteries diode orred (sp?) together (diode in each path from switch to
receiver) through two switches (must be 5 cell to allow for the diode
drop) fully redundant, you would have to have a failure in both paths at
the same time to loose control due to battery.  Assuming you check things
every flight the odds of a failure in both paths is too remote to
consider.  There is little weight penalty, run two batteries 1/2 the size
you would normally run.  Being a worrier I also make a point of never
running either pack down too far (if I happen to be running on one pack I
want enough charge in that one pack to last a long flight).  The diodes
must be in the path from the switch to the receiver (if you put them
between the battery and the switch, as once got printed incorrectly, with
MY name attached, you won't be able to charge in this configuration)  I've
been doing this for about 10 years with no problems and it has saved me an
airplane, both batteries good on take off one was bad (open) on landing,
if only one battery, bye bye airplane.  Guess you could argue that the bad
battery might have been in someone else's airplane VBG.  It is a little
more complex, two switches (one of the biggest failure items) two charge
jacks, two batteries.  Assuming you have an unused channel you can plug
the battery into any unused channel (preferred) if not then I would wye it
to a non mission critical channel, last choice would be to wye the two
batteries together (the wye is then mission critical, I told you I was a
worrier)  There is also good evidence that the diodes are not necessary,
that a 5 cell pack won't charge a 4 cell pack (one shorted cell), sounds
right and I've used this scheme, but I have never tested it with a cell
shorted so I have no first had experience.  I'm not sure I could sleep at
night, anymore, with only one battery pack and switch, just seems like
unnecessary risk.

Flame suit on, Bye

Bob