fuel filter puzzle/Webra 145

Brian Billings auto7832 at bellsouth.net
Wed Mar 26 10:27:33 AKST 2003

    I purchased and started running one of these two weeks ago, first
weekend out with the motor went without a hitch, set rich but plenty of
power and good transition { 28 clicks on the high and about 3/4 turn on the
low}, fuel filter is in the line to the pump, ran motor dry and added oil
when done. The next weekend was not so good, the motor was difficult to
prime {about thirty flips by hand to get fuel up to pump} but once primed it
started ok and seemed to be running ok. put it in the air and emeadiatly
noticed a sag in the engine on part throttle up lines, landed the plane and
backed out the high speed needle a couple of clicks and at part throttle on
the ground the motor was surging up and down, attempts to adjust the motor
did not fix the problem. While running the motor on the ground I noticed
large air bubbles in the line from the pump to the carb, the line from the
tank to the pump stayed solid with fuel. Due to the fact that the supply
line was air free and the line to the carb has large air bubbles I concluded
that the pump must be leaking air. When I got home I did a good check of all
lines and fittings at the pump also found one head bolt half way backed out
and it did not feel like it wanted to go back in. Rather then trying to fix
i decided it best to send motor to peidmont for repair. I will post what the
out come ends up being.