Dual Elevator Servos

Morton jrmmorton at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 21 20:35:52 AKST 2003

  Keith,

I have been very happy with 2 digital programmable MCV2 micro servos
mounted on their sides inside the stab of my Viper 202. I originally had
the MCV2 superflat (11 mm) servos which worked fine, but I  liked the
quicker speed and power of the micros, and they were still only about 1
oz each. I like the short positive nearly frictionless connection to
each elevator half (MK ball bearing clevis). They have held up very well
and I had no problem matching the throws. I didn't even use the
programming feature, I just plugged each servo into a different channel
and mechanically matched them as close as possible. One possible
advantage could be that you could have each servo work independently
with ailerons if you wanted to. I do that on my fun fly plane and it
works great (I am thinking for a multi-purpose AA plane).
I mount the servos on their sides to a light ply and balsa sandwiched
rectangular plate. I use the outer balsa layer to exactly match the
curve of the airfoil. I then cut a hollow plywood rectangle that will
support the servo in the stab. The width of the plywood rectangle
(donut)  is such that 1/2 will be under the balsa stab sheeting and 1/2
is used to support the servo plate, the center is cut out for the servo.
I then use a router to create a box for the servo and mounting plate
into the foam core before sheeting in the stab. Glue in the plywood
rectangle and sheet the stab normally. I then drill a hole in each
corner to attach the servo plate. I later added an access hatch  in the
bottom of the fuselage to help fish the servo wires and extensions. Send
me a message and I will e-mail pictures if you like.

Ray Morton

Keith Black wrote:

>putting servos in the stab halves

This is exactly what I had initially considered on my Aries so my removable
stab would be easier to remove. Essentially they would be like small main
wings.

However all the feedback that I received seemed to indicate that this was a
bad idea due to extra weight, possible differences in throw over time, etc.

I'd like to hear pros and cons from others that use used this technique.

Thanks,
Keith