Cline Regulator fuel line plumbing

Chuck Czarnik cczarnik at arclp.com
Wed Mar 5 06:50:57 AKST 2003

Right now I'm using an APC 17x10 narrow.  I originally started with a
17x13, which was a better load for the engine (about 8k static), but the
plane was a rocket.  I experimented with different pipe lengths by using
longer couplers.  Couldn't tell much difference, so I just left it alone
at the stock Hatori length, where it has plenty of power.

I originally started with the Perry oscillating pump at break-in, which
just wouldn't work properly for me.. Couldn't get it tuned to run
reliably in a nose down posiiton (too much head pressure with the tank
on CG).  So the first few tanks were without the cline.  But I had the
cline on it within 1/2 gallon of fuel.  I prime it at the start of a
flying session with the plug out and throttle wide open with a stopper
in the carb throat.  You gotta get the pressure up in the tank a good
flow of fuel to the carb before it will start easily.  After the first
start of the day, the rest are easy.  I have found that oil tends to
collect in the regulator between flying sessions that can affect initial
fuel draw and this is the easiest way to make sure that the system is
primed and ready to go.

This setup is on a Focus.  Total weight is about 10 1/2lb, and if
anything the setup has too much power.  I fly 401, and most of the
sequence is at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle.  It's my first 2m ship, so I don't
know if all of them have this much power.. It will turn up high enough
now to rip the prop a little at full throttle, but I don't need it.
I've actually backed the atv on the throttle down from 100% to shave off
a few hundred R's.. Might be nice in July, but I don't need all of it
today.

It has taken several gallons to get the engine running well, and it
looked good last weekend (although still a tinch rich in midrange).. The
real test will be this weekend if I can make it to Ocala.  I think it's
a good setup if you're on a budget (like me), but the rig has taken
quite a bit more tinkering than my old .61 RF-P that I came from.  That
engine was about perfect..