Color Schemes, the good the bad and the visible

John Gausby humptybumpty at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 5 06:02:01 AKST 2003

Keith....As many have stated ,you need to find the base color that works for you in your area. Also....The tint of your sunglasses will make a big difference as well.

I fly in central Virginia which is often "hazey" during the summer. Our humitity usually bottoms out at 85%+. Bright yellow works best for me as a base color using amber tinted sunglasses.

I would go to your field on an average day, make a point to watch different color schemes, and pick the colors that show well for you.

For me....Medium shades of red , green ,blue turn BLACK real fast. Pink turns to red. White almost COMPLETELY disappears in the haze and bright yellow shows up well....even better with amber glasses. Your eyes ,sunglasses , and area that you fly in could be very different from mine.

Of course my fleet of planes and heli's have lots of bright yellow and pink! The guys make fun of my yellow and pink color schemes at contests.....however...when they see it in the air...I get compliments.   John G.     Richmond , Va