Flight Data Recorder

EHaury at aol.com EHaury at aol.com
Sun Jun 29 09:26:06 AKDT 2003

An ad in the latest MA by Eagle Tree Systems for a Flight Data Recorder
attracted my attention. Being able to record airspeed / altitude / servo commands,
etc., for review after a flight would seem to be a useful tool for pattern and
this device is advertised to do just that for a reasonable price ($150).
Details are at: www.eagletreesystems.com

The first good sign is service, ordered Tues. morning and received Fri.
Second good sign is that the software loaded on my PC without a hitch. The recorder
calibrated as described and was in a Hydeout and in the air in no time (still
Friday). Lastly, data from the flight transferred to my PC for evaluation. (A
supplied USB cord between the recorder and PC.)

It's tricky to interpret the data from the supplied graphics in that you need
to figure out just where in the pattern the data were generated. I flew a
take off sequence with a level 180 to enter the pattern, so altitude data were
consistent for a while and the first pull-up was obvious. With the playback on
slo-mo, altitude changes and elevator inputs allow one to follow a pattern
pretty well.

The data can be transferred to Excel and manipulated to provide graphics of
the data of interest. It took about 45 min. to build charts of airspeed, elev,
and altitude for the Square on Corner (I'm a bit Excel rusty). The data
clearly show the entry altitude, the altitude gained (or lost) between elevator
inputs, max altitude, finish altitude, and the airspeed through the maneuver.
Pretty nifty!

The device comes set to capture data at the rate of 4/sec which will give 22
min. of record. I found that 8/sec is probably better for our use (10/sec max
available) and that will give about 13 min of record. When the buffer is full
it stops collecting until reset. I've made no effort to verify speed and
altitude measurements except that with the recommended altitude calibration it
knows the runway is 0 altitude. (Relative numbers are of good value anyway.)

Overall this device looks to be a useful tool to help one improve practice
sessions. There is no realtime downlink or closed loop control, so nothing
outside the rules. (Hmmm - judge thinks entry and exit altitudes differ, wonder if
he / she would like to see the real numbers?)

Earl