Engine Bearing Air Scoops

Jerry Budd jbudd at QNET.COM
Tue Jun 24 06:19:46 AKDT 2003

>In a message dated 6/23/2003 7:01:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>patterndude at attbi.com writes:
>
>>Subj:Re: Engine Bearing Air Scoops
>>Date:6/23/2003 7:01:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time
>>From:<mailto:patterndude at attbi.com>patterndude at attbi.com
>>To:<mailto:discussion at nsrca.org>discussion at nsrca.org
>>Sent from the Internet
>>

>>Randy,
>>Be careful of your info.  That may appear true in cooler areas, but in TExas
>>the WEbras can't be idled long on the ground or they will over heat and die.
>>Then it takes a long time for them to cool enough to run them.  It is common
>>for owners to keep the engine at mid throttle while walking it out to the
>>runway just to keep it cool before takeoff.  THis is not necesarily a major
>>problem as long as you deal with it.
>>

>Geez Lance,
>
>maybe my Webra doesn't know it's a webra then. Mine will idle as
>long as I want in sunny FLA in the summer heat. And have flown it in
>"cold" weather also (45 deg) and it does fine; I change nothing to
>the cooling set-up of the engine.
>
>It's not north TX for sure but is close to south TX

Same here in the California Mojave desert.  I've flown in over 100
degree heat and had no problems.

I think using air scoops to provide cooling air to the lower case
doesn't so much do that but could possibly result in a slight
increase in base pressure in that area of the cowling.  That might
allow the airflow to more easily flow around the head instead of
seeking a low pressure area elsewhere in the cowling.  And if that's
the case, using cylinder head baffles would work a lot better.  This
would likely be more a prevalent problem in planes with oversize
cowls such as the Gator G-202, Smaragd, Excellence, etc. (I don't
know about an Aries, I've never seen one).

I know that when I land my carb/spinner are cool and sometimes even cold.

Jerry

--
Jerry Budd
mailto:jbudd at qnet.com