Wrong Maneuver issues

Dick Smith flyrrs at cfw.com
Tue Jun 17 10:01:17 AKDT 2003

VERY good post, Dave!  It is the responsibility of the flyer to correctly
fly/present the maneuvers/sequences as written, and for the judge to score
them in their correct order and manner in which they are flown. Two distinct
responsibilities.

However, in addition to your comments and the distractions posed when having
the 'caller' loudly call out maneuvers, I would like to add another comment
relating to this. Similar instances have occurred when I have been  judging
with others. In a couple (different contests) the other judge asked that the
'caller' call out the maneuvers so that he could hear them. I replied it was
not required nor should it be necessary, but he persisted.

Well, you guessed it. The 'caller' called the WRONG maneuver and that judge
scored him ...and it wasn't a 0 either (!). But he received a 0 from me as
well as from himself (he knew it). Too bad, but this can, will and does
happen when a "judge" isn't sure of himself and relies on a 'caller's' call
instead of learning the sequence or quietly listening to his own scribe. I
have always had my scribe QUIETLY say the up coming maneuver to me in order
to prevent just such an occurrence, regardless of what is heard from the
'caller'.

Thanks again, Dave, for your comments.

Rgds,          Dick Smith

# discussion-request at nsrca.org