Wrong Maneuver issues

David Lockhart DaveL322 at comcast.net
Tue Jun 17 07:06:56 AKDT 2003

Pardon the delayed response to this topic (just a wee bit of email to
catch up on while being gone at the US Team Selection).

The pilot is supposed to fly the maneuvers - and uses a caller/helper
if needed.  And, as noted in prior posts to this string, different
pilots use callers/helpers in different ways.  It would seem to be
agreed that while pilots generally have their sequence memorized, in
the heat of a contest flight, a pilot will often rely on their caller
for the next maneuver, or clarifications (ie, 1/2 roll vs 2/4).

The judge is supposed to judge the maneuvers flown by the pilot and
document a score for the maneuvers.  If needed, the judge can have an
assistant(scribe) help with this task.  And, as noted in prior posts to
this string, different judges have different preferences on what type
of help they would like from an assistant (scribe).  It would seem to
be agreed that while many of us have multiple schedules memorized, in
the heat of judging a contest flight, a judge may rely on a scribe to
clarify the details of a maneuver.

As a pilot, I attempt to ignore any background noise, discussion, or
commentary that is not coming from my caller - whether it is from the
judges tent or the peanut gallery.  However, as most of us know, this
is a difficult task - especially when others are discussing the flight
in progress.  I find it very distracting to have my caller loudly
calling for the judges.  As a matter of fact, if my caller is required
to call the maneuvers for the judges, I would just assume fly without a
caller and donate my caller to the judges for the flight.
Alternatively, if forced to call maneuvers for the judges, I'll try to
find a second caller and dedicate their services to the judges.

As a judge, I think it is MY responsibility to accurately judge and
score each and every maneuver (and this includes giving zeroes for
wrong maneuvers or maneuvers out of sequence).  If I need an assistant
to call the maneuvers for me, then I have an assistant available to do
that - and quietly, so as to not disturb the pilot.

Obviously, our sport will not work without both pilots and judges, each
with the needed assistants.

As a related sidebar, at the recent US Team Selection, a caller was
used for the judges at the start of the Finals Rounds - this practice
was halted based on the feedback from the pilots that the judges caller
was a distraction (not a reflection on the judges caller personally of
course, he is one of the nicest guys I've met in pattern).

Regards,

Dave Lockhart
DaveL322 at comcast.net