Contestant Judging was Calling Maneuvers for Judges

Gray E Fowler gfowler at raytheon.com
Thu Jun 12 10:55:21 AKDT 2003

Allan

Sounds good, does that work? The fact that the locals will sit thru two
days of judging is amazing. Have you actually had people start flying
because they judged? I would never advocate excluding a local with
interest, but I think their skill level is best suited for Sportsman and
perhaps Intermediate simply because the judge load is so much lower. I fly
Advanced and I do not have it totally memorized. Think about someone who
does not fly pattern at all....one time you see a stall turn without a
half roll, next time with a half roll, then a bunt with a half roll and a
double immalmen with a full roll-sure looks the same and can get
confusing. Do the locals really take the time needed to become a good
judge? We as flyers constantly discuss such judging while sitting around
not flying -to the point of overkill, but we learn it if nothing but from
maximum exposure.
If I had a local that showed interest I think I would make him fly
Sportsman instead of judging. Ron Barr had 9 Sportsman last weekend.

Gray Fowler
Principal Chemical Engineer
Composites Engineering

AWorrest at aol.com