Calling Maneuvers for Judges

Gray E Fowler gfowler at raytheon.com
Thu Jun 12 09:03:35 AKDT 2003

Jon,

There are not special rules in different areas. What you need to remember
is that this is supposed to be fun, and even if the judges mess up you
will get better-and have fun. These problems are usually isolated and the
discussion you have now witnessed is simply to try to make it better. It
will never be perfect.
My point is that if we as flyers want to make judging better we should
judge ourselves.

Guys,

As a newbie this type of discussion is very discouraging.  I've been
flying since 1978, sport type flying with no real direction.  I got into
pattern so I can add purpose to my flying, and so I can learn.  I thought
the whole reason for flying pattern was to compete against pilots.  I also
thought the AMA made rules so people would know what they are getting into
when they go to a contest.  Now I understand that certain fields/hosting
clubs may have rules that a person would need to adhere to while flying in
a contest at that location.  However, the basic contest rules should be
the same from event to event.  As a rookie pattern pilot I have enough to
worry about with the schedules and learning to compete in front of people.
 I'd hate to think I need to lump in different rules for different
contests.  I'd also hate to think that I could get downgraded cause of a
caller error.  In these times of low pattern attendance I would think we
would want to make things more uniform an!
 d easier on the pilots, not more difficult and random.

Just the thoughts of a newbie pattern pilot with one contest under his
belt.

Jon Uhler

Gray Fowler
Principal Chemical Engineer