Wrong Maneuver issues

Atwood, Mark atwoodm at paragon-inc.com
Tue Jun 10 15:26:43 AKDT 2003

I know we joke about it a lot, but it's a difficult issue.  It's hard to memorize 5 sets of schedules...especially the more complicated ones.  Until recently, most of the more advanced pilots had been through the lower ranks with the same schedules...they hadn't changed in many years.  After having flown the sportsman, advanced, and masters sequences literally a thousand times, it was unlikely that I would forget the sequence. Made them easy to judge without effort.

But now, the sequences are all new to all of us.  Unless you're very diligent, which is often NOT the case at a local spring contest, it's easy for the judges to judge the maneuver flown, rather then the one required.  This is especially true of similar manuevers...1/2 square with 1/2 roll rather than 1/2 square with 2/4...or your 1/2 cuban rather than 1/2 reverse cuban etc.

You'll find fewer and fewer errors as the summer progresses and as the manuevers become more familiar to everyone.

Still...best to be quiet.  Bob P. managed to fly an inside-inside cuban eight with 1 1/2 rolls rather than an inside-outside cuban with full rolls in masters at the '99 nats and got 8's from all 4 judges...not the best endorsement.

-M