Scoring Vs Judging

gene.maurice at attbi.com gene.maurice at attbi.com
Tue Jun 10 05:07:19 AKDT 2003

Let me preface by saying that judging is not, and never will be, a science,
it's an art form. Which means, by it's nature, we are asking people to make a
value judgement based upon a perception of what they have "seen" in what is
sometimes a split second. Between and among the six schedules there are over
100 individual maneuvers, 30 pages of rules, any number of "interpretations"
and "guidelines". The best we can hope for is an unbiased score that is issued
an a consistant basis within the class and round being scored.

I had a situation this past weekend where I issued a couple of zeroes to two
different pilots who performed the Humpty Bump with Options in error by half
rolling on the down line. This was in Intermediate in the forth round of a
contest. Both pilots stated that they have been performing the maneuver this
way for some time yet had NEVER been zeroed before! The maneuver description in
the rule book is pretty clear that a half or quarter roll should be performed
in the up line and the only roll allowed in the down line is a quarter roll.

So, am I the "inconsistant" judge??? At least now these pilots know how the
maneuver is supposed to be performed.
--
Gene Maurice
gene.maurice at attbi.com