Scoring Vs Judging

jed241 at msn.com jed241 at msn.com
Mon Jun 9 17:43:53 AKDT 2003

John,

Thanks for your response...

Let me make sure that everyone understands...,"I'm not attacking the judging in any way". This was only intended to spark discussion about the scoring and how it roles up. I thought I understood it correctly. I may have sparked some nerves which was not my intent...

However, I'll engage in debate...

***Each round is normalized to the high raw score in each class. That makes each round a "mini-contest".***
This would only be true if the number of rounds won was the deciding factor. Since the sum of the normalized rounds determines the winner, it is possible that the winner actually has a lower raw score total. As Matt stated, it's not probable that this would be the case. However, as the difference between two scores decrease, the potential becomes more likely.

***The most harsh set of judges have no more influence on the outcome than a more lenient set.***
This can't be a correct statement if my theory and math is correct. The importance of consistency from judge to judge should be the priority in my opinion. I believe this is the focus of the NSRCA judging committee.

***We admit the judging process is flawed when we use two or more judges.***
Actually, I think the "low average round" phenomena risk is reduced when using more than one judge per round. The averages should reduce the variance.

Larry