YS 140L tuning questions

jim ivey jivey61 at msn.com
Sun Jun 1 17:49:32 AKDT 2003

lhncheol
When you open the throttle don't let it go wide open to the stops. This will be a lean condition. Always adjust full throttle for barrel to be straight up and down, not all the way open. This is really important with a Hyde or similar mount that will stretch under full power.
 For the spinner use double prop nuts. One nut will lock the prop nut. I also use washers to space the spinner so that the spinner bolt tightens against the nut without bending the backplate.
 If you hear that loud hammering or pinging you are lean. That's why it throws the props and spinner. Don't let it do that.
 The first tank on a rebuilt or new engine should be well on the rich side. After that put in plane and fly, slowly leaning engine for a few flights. The engines get more cooling in the air.
 There is a method to set the low end at 2000 rpm and to set max rpm. I will let someone else talk about that.

Jim Ivey