FAI F3AL---Pattern IMAC combined

Henderson,Eric Eric.Henderson at gartner.com
Wed Jul 30 15:35:22 AKDT 2003

I have competed in Scale Aerobatics Nationals and Precision Aerobatics Nationals at Muncie. I would still be doing it if they had not split the events by a week or so. (Muncie is OK but going there and back twice in one month is not for me or my bank balance.)

I have covered both events as a columnist and as just a competitor. The thing that struck me was that at first, you could be competitive with a $300-400 scale ARF and not so in pattern. Two years later it has reversed. It soon became clear that if you did not have the DA 150 size ship you could not compete for a place. I saw Sportsman class pilots buying 140" planes at the end of the week. Now, in contrast, we have a plethora of pattern ARF's that are competitive and the pendulum has swung the other way.

IMAC's biggest problem is noise. (Not flying skill - It's just junk to say that). I, at their request, sound tested some local guys who were off to an IMAC contest the following week. They were way over on my meter at their distances, and yet passed easily at the contest, That raised my eyebrows. The noise standard for IMAC planes is still very unacceptable at many of my local clubs. (Not even close to our sound standards!~) If they fixed their noise standard I would attend more IMAC contests, but my wife gets serious headaches from the "barking big ones..."

The worst part about IMAC, for me, is freestyle. It encourages some pretty serious hot-dogging right in the middle of main flying area. The best part about it for IMAC is that they are highly visible. IMAC pilots can also declare "Avoidance" if they feel they are too close to another plane. Even so most who are competing, practice their schedules away from the busy fields.

The rogue IMAC fliers, with loud planes and scary flying habits attract a lot of attention and even cost clubs their flying fields. Rogue pattern pilots don't know how to be rebellious :-)

As regards the pilots and attitudes. Those at the Nat's, in both styles of flying, are some of the best folks around in both flying and helpfulness. Where we get into trouble is that IMAC guys are cited and perceived as loud and brash and pattern guys as snobby and elitist.

Anyone flying a $4000 rig is going to be something that someone out there does not like. It's not what people have expressed in this list that keeps folks out of pattern. (It might make you leave?). It is much more that there a few obvious doors that they can come though. It is sort of like trying to find a wife by looking pathetic as you shop in the supermarket hoping that some ideal woman will drop an item that you can retrieve in full "Sir Galahad" style - not going to happen.

We need programs not protestations,

We need action not advocation,

We need creativity not just conservatism,

Most of all we need expansion of, as Troy said, all aerobatics. Add IMAC and the NSRCA and you get about 1500 these days...

E.