new concepts-Pattern is HARD!!! Darn It!

Anthony Abdullah aabdu at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 30 11:36:45 AKDT 2003

That is exactly what I am talking about ED. If you tried to get a non competitive person to play in a racquetball tournament that would probably belly ache about spending $200 plus for the racquet that they think they need. It's not about the racquet, it is about the competitive spirit. I compete as an average B level player with a $75 dollar racquet and try to make up for it with practice.

Ed Deaver <divesplat1 at msn.com> wrote:This has been touched on a little here so far but think about something
outside of Pattern.

How many people in todays society, in the USA, actually STRIVE for anything
the way competitors used too.

I play near professional racketball, and over the past 10 years of hours of
practice in the court, I am only aware of 1-2 other players who have STRIVEN
to achieve a goal oriented level of accomplishment here in Lubbock. This
applies to all forms of competition, including golf, bowling, baseball,
softball etc. Once a person is out of the structured form of coach and
practice in school(HS,College) we turn into immediate gratification with as
little effort as needed.

It would be interesting to see how many Pattern pilots are what I call
Natural Competitors. The type that isn't happy unless they are trying to
reach a level higher than average, to compete against others. Or how many
of us spent quarter after quarter in a video game until most others went
oohh aww, how did youdo that.

Ed

# discussion-request at nsrca.org