FAI F3AL---Pattern IMAC combined

Jon Uhler juhler at bellsouth.net
Wed Jul 30 09:45:35 AKDT 2003

>Most IMAC pilots have trouble flying a straight line much less judgeing a
> masters and FAI group in pattern.

> over, but we are talking about local contest, not Nats.

Marty,

I'd be the first to say that I am a rookie in both IMAC and Pattern.  But so far it as been my experience that IMAC judging is much more consistent than pattern.  I was scored a "0" and "8.5" on the same looping maneuver at a contest. Now I know that as long as humans are judging, there will be differences, but 0 to 8.5 is a lot.

Also, I went to the NATS this year and watched Intermediate, Advance, Masters, and FAI.  With the exception of the FAI, I'd say several pattern fliers can't fly a straight line either (and this was not a local contest, but the NATS).  I really don't see what the big deal is about the NATS anyway.  Do you have to qualify to make the NATS or just pay your $90 bucks?  There are several of us, IAMC and Pattern boys alike, that need to work on flying straight lines.

IMAC is at least making an effort with the judging issue by having judge seminars around the country.  They are very informative and worth while.  The only effort that I have seen in the pattern world is the judging tape that I borrowed from a friend.  The tape, in my opinion, was not very clear cut on scoring and I think it shows in the results that I have seen at a contest.

Once again, I will say that I have only been to one contest and wish to gain more info as time goes on.

So far I love the beauty, learning curve, and friendship offered by both groups, but I have to say, the mentality, living in the past attitude, us VRS them, and bashing is making it hard enjoy both.

Jon

# discussion-request at nsrca.org