FAI F3AL---Pattern IMAC combined

Troy Newman troy_newman at msn.com
Wed Jul 30 08:00:22 AKDT 2003

As for combining IMAC and Pattern events under the AMA and in the same contest....I'm a big supporter of this....and to my knowledge Bruce Reins and I are the only ones in the country to run our contest as IMAC and Pattern Combined.....All the same rules for each event...and just a contest with 7-8 classes instead of the 4-5 normal ones....Also while Pattern was flying IMAC was judging and while IMAC was flying Pattern was judging. It made life easier on the finding of judges.

The pilots I spoke with after a 2 year run at it liked the idea and were beginning to try flying both in the same contest....The first year we had 2-3 crossovers that entered both events....The second year We had 6 crossovers I think out of 25 total pilots....

My guess is that Bruce and boys will do the same aging this year....I'm not living in the area any longer.

The key is I think IMAC and Pattern belong under the same interest group NSCA/IMAC or maybe the American Aerobatics Society or something like that.....

Upon saying a year ago I was blasted as a heretic....NSCAR and INDY cars don't run in the same league so IMAC and Pattern belong as different animals...different groups....different newsletters...different budgets....different management...

All of this as both groups struggle for attendance to meets...struggle for membership dues and struggle to keep a newsletter afloat....both group have financial issues, and both groups fall under the same rules making body of the AMA.....both groups have contests that simulate each other...maybe some rules are different but they are more alike that anyone wants to admit....

Oh and here is a little note I picked up from an RC industry guy...never thought of this way before...."

IMAC airplanes are the hot thing...the reason they are sport airplanes that get taken to a contest and entered....very few pattern models get taken to the Sunday flying field and flown for fun. We practice with them....It takes dedication and drive to be successful doing what we do....and at the end of the day...the IMAC guy goes out and shoots touch and go's and hot dogs around.....More IMAC planes are sold, bought and flown and never see a contest.... than those that compete in a competition...

So my opinion is in IMAC as in Pattern it takes huge time commitments to be at the top...It takes some money but not the loads that we spend.....It takes a drive and a dedication to self improvement and towards the goal of a USA team or a NATS finish.

In today's society this strive for excellence is not rewarded...Kids no longer get grades telling them they failed math rather they get a NI or Needs Improvement. Instead of getting a smack upside the head and forced to pay attention they get labeled as ADD.....and instead of winning the spelling bee they get green ribbons saying I was there...I showed...and got this cool participation award.

We have the US government filing lawsuits against Microsoft for a monopoly...when none of the MS competition has a product that is worth spit compared and the reason hey are upset is MS is giving away some of their feature and products for free! Instead of making the competition work harder to bat MS to the punch the governments that's OK little guy I'll help you...its not fair to compete with a big bad bully like him.

Well guys this is the current smell of what is rotten in DENMARK....and people wonder why competition events draw so much smaller crowds than say a Joe NALL event of any other get together fun to fly activity.....Its the way it is....our lives everyday are this way....

Competition is great a glorious thing...I'm a natural competitor and I love it....the drive to reach Excellence is what has brought me to my current passion. I have a passion for Excellence as do some of you. Just because the other guy doesn't just means his goals are different...There will always be some that want to excel with Precision Aerobatics....and there will those that don't.....I think we as the NSRCA need to look as stretching our hand to other groups and working together to promote Aerobatics and competition and stop fighting internally with MAC'ers or the Paw-Turn boys.

just my opinion and it reflects only on me

Troy Newman