new concepts-Pattern is HARD!!! Darn It!

Terry Terrenoire amad2terry at juno.com
Tue Jul 29 19:14:25 AKDT 2003

I love it!! A lot of truth that maybe a lot of us don't want to
acknowledge.

Terry T.

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 17:21:07 -0500 "Gray E Fowler" <gfowler at raytheon.com>
writes:

Pattern is hard and that does scare the average club schmoe. In an effort
to entice newbies into pattern you gotta look for the right guy at the
right time. Here are my well collected thoughts for those who (m?)
care.........

1. Forget the guys who make peanut gallery cracks while you are
flying....the wise cracks are insecurity they do not want exposed.

2. Forget about anyone with GOD syndrome. (Good Old Days). If they think
that escapments made for "REAL" pilots you dont wanna talk to them about
your digital servos-or pattern.

3. Forget about anyone who gets excited about............THAT NEWEST P-51
ARF!!!!!!! They are not ready.

4. Forget about anyone who says they have enough "Competition" at
work....chances are they are losers there too.

5. Forget about someone who thinks nuthin' is better than that big O'
Ugly Stick......with two aileron servos for "flaperons".

6. Forget about anyone who has a fun fly plane and likes to take off,
snap three times and loop for a touch and go...in three seconds or less.
Chances are he is A.D.D. and the straight lines of pattern will make his
brain hurt from lack of stimulation.

7. Forget about someone who has constant "radio problems"...yeah
right.....

8. Forget about anyone flying a .46 plane and has band-aids on his
fingers

Now that I have eliminated 98.625% of the average club member...who
should you entice into pattern??????

1. The guy who approaches you at the end of a flight and asks about a
certain manuever

2.  Anyone who on their own accord has realized how poorly their P-51,
Ugly Stick, or other plane really flies. When he says "everytime I pull
straight up like you do my plane veers to the left-why?" He is then a
prime candidate. (this is the Horse-lead to water deal-he's gotta be
thirsty)

3. Look for the person who is a decent pilot but is getting bored with
the hobby. You can spot him by the following....He has mastered touch and
gos, he rarely crashes, he can "SNAP" with the best of them and does it
100 times a flight, he tries to "hover" anything including that P-51 ARF
(for realistic flight mode).

4. Anyone who cleans his plane (even if it is a P-51 ARF) between every
flight, is a prime candidate.

With this being said, I have not found any worthy candidates at the
Richardson Club in about 1.5 years.  But then again I have not been
flying alot for various reasons...
Remember that I am a qualified amatuer phs...psyh...psycologist,,,,,so
this has gotta be right

Gray Fowler
Principal Chemical Engineer
Composites Engineering