NEW CLASS for experienced pilots.

jim ivey jivey61 at msn.com
Mon Jul 28 13:00:12 AKDT 2003

Allen
 Thanks for the comments.

Jim Ivey
SPA 82
NSRCA 2724
----- Original Message -----
From: AWorrest at aol.com
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2003 4:54 PM
To: discussion at nsrca.org
Subject: Re: NEW CLASS for experienced pilots.

Five years ago, pattern was dead in Nebraska outside of Omaha.  One time before we switched to the SPA schedule, we had only three entrees in a club AMA pattern contest.  ( I must add that the day started out with rain.)  Yesterday we had sixteen contestants in the Lincoln Pattern contest and it was raining when the contest started.  Two other communities held similar pattern events earlier in the year.  There is talk that a fourth will be held in October.  Pattern is making a comeback in this part of the country even if it is not AMA pattern.

The fly-by format of the SPA schedule makes it much easier to perform a difficult maneuver than the AMA turn-around style.  The SPA maneuvers for the Expert class are not individually easy.  They were taken from the 70's AMA Master/Expert schedules.  Maybe it is due to my age, I find flying the SPA Expert class to be more enjoyable than the AMA Advanced.  It is not a vision thing; the SPA format is just more relaxed.  I get a chance to take a deep breath after each flubbed maneuver.

We have no restrictions on the aircraft entered in our contest other than the plane can be maneuvered safely.  I am beginning to think that the new, 2-meter, wide body designs have an advantage.  This is not a trend I would encourage.  The SPA maneuvers can be flown successfully with a less expensive aircraft.  Possibly, just not as well.  If there is a new class, I would recommend that the SPA schedule be flown and the only restrictions on the aircraft be the SPA restrictions on the engine.  That is for a 2-cycle, the maximum displacement is .60 and a muffler is used.  For a 4-cycle the engine, it is restricted to a .90 or below and no super charging.

Allan Worrest