NEW concept? for pattern entry.

jim ivey jivey61 at msn.com
Mon Jul 28 12:55:41 AKDT 2003

Gray
Yes, we hold contests and we use this to get guys interested in pattern. There are variations of the SPA around the country. The idea is to do this without a big expense. The older style planes happen to be cheaper, so it is easier to get people interested. I helped 2 guys, fly SPA novice this past weekend, that were flying U-CAN DO planes from Great Planes, I believe. Yes the bottom line is to fly. Sooner or later they will win, if they stick with it.
We have held AMA and SPA contests together and that makes for long days and tired people. I flew in both classes and that was a lot of work, not fun. So, there's no benefit in combining the two at one contest. There are a lot of good ideas out here today on how to improve the participation. I'm speaking of a way that works for us.

Jim Ivey