Nat Penton's Carbon Tube Landing Gear

Paul Horan phoran at vvm.com
Sun Jul 27 18:51:28 AKDT 2003

Matt, Please send me a pic.
Thanks
Paul
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Rcmaster199 at aol.com
  To: discussion at nsrca.org
  Sent: Sunday, July 27, 2003 5:06 PM
  Subject: Nat Penton's Carbon Tube Landing Gear

  To all who are interested in this extremely light, inexpensive, serviceable landing gear method Nat Penton devised, send me a private message for a pic. Pics don't post well on the discussion board evidently.

  Matt Kebabjian

    Thanks John.

    Nat and computers do not mix unfortunately . I have no pointer to give except how he described them to me.

    The carbon tubing is standard .230"x.130" stock tubing from CST Sales and the fairing material is thin plastic stock from Sullivan. These are simply superglued in place. They are thin enough to be flexible apparently and the carbon is flexible enough in 10 inch strut length, to make a good package. The carbon tube only has a 130 ID which means a 1/8" axle.

    The mount couldn't be simpler: a short length of Dave Brown arrow shaft serves as socket. It is mounted onto a 3/32" ply plate, flat against the plate with Kevlar binder thread. He mounts his plates in the wing usually, vertically, with the correct rake angle built in, and Pro Bond's them in. The socket extends about an inch below the wing's surface and accepts the strut with a little flex ca holding them in.

    Simple and effective with minimum fuss and very low cost. His planes are around 8 pounds but no reason this couldn't hold at least 25% heavier models. He has yet to break one; the flex ca holding the strut in, does fine he sez.

    regards

    Matt

      Subj:Re: fixed gear vs. retracts