Judges

Bob Kane getterflash at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 25 06:47:38 AKDT 2003

I don't know if it has any statistical significance or not, but I notice the point spread roughly increases as you move from top scores to lowest scores. One factor could be the variability of the deduction assigned to percieved defects. The top fliers had fewer defects, so less variability in the scores.

Don Ramsey <donramsey at cox-internet.com> wrote:
I just finished looking over the judging stats for the finals at the NATS.  In my opinion, all the judges did an excellent job.  As an example, here's round 1 from the FAI Finals and the range of scores the 5 judges assigned.

Szczur     533 to 557  range 24 points difference from low to high
Hyde        547 to 572           25
Newman   496 to 537           41
Collinson   486 to 550           64
Byrd          510 to 531           21
Jesky        446 to 519           73
Lockhart    481-541               60
Harrison     464 to 531           67
Blose         477 to 519           42
Hebert        Problem flight

Now that's a pretty tight spread for 5 judges.  I'd say that's it a tribute to the quality of judges that participated in judging the finals.  Thanks for all the help and remember you judges are now in the matrix for recommendation for our world judge.  To be considered, you need 8 rounds of finals at the NATS or any round judged at the Team Selection.  If you want in this matrix, volunteer to judge the finals at next years NATS.

Don

Bob Kane
getterflash at yahoo.com