PPG Concept safety

David Flynt davidflynt at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 24 17:41:41 AKDT 2003

John,

The PPG Concept and clear has polyisocyanates, and while I am not an expert,
I am certain that it is not beneficial to have these atomic particles
absorbed via your lungs.  It is much less of a concern before the material
becomes atomized via your spray gun, however there is still concern.  You
should do your own research and decide for yourself your risk via dermal and
lung exposure to the paint.  For starters, visit
http://www.osha-slc.gov/SLTC/isocyanates/index.html.

I can share a personal experience.  I once did a very tiny touch up job with
my airbrush, outdoors, and I foolishly did not take the time to find my
respirator.  I was exposed for about two minutes to a very small volume of
air born PPG concept particles.  I immediately felt tightness in my chest,
and that lasted through the night.  I had a hard time sleeping and I felt
that I could not get enough oxygen.  The tightness was gone by morning, but
I resolved to never expose any part of my body after that and after reading
up on the subject.

Whether you are protected sufficiently with a good carbon filter mask is NOT
clear (at least to me), and nowadays I am seeing manufacturers recommend a
positive pressure, fresh air respirator.  You will also find recommendations
on eliminating skin exposure.  That may be a reaction to an over-litigious
society, or directed at professionals that are exposed daily, but you have
to decide for yourself.

When you read about and hear about becoming sensitized from isocyanate
exposure, it is enough to scare you into spending money on safety equipment.
As you can tell, I am pretty paranoid about it.  I am told by paint
professionals and have read articles that say the amount of exposure to
isocyanates that is required to become sensitized varies per individual, but
that everybody has a reservoir.  Once your reservoir is full, the
sensitivity sticks with you for life, and causes some serious health
problems.

Best regards,

David Flynt.