Number into Finals

phelps15 at comcast.net phelps15 at comcast.net
Wed Jul 23 18:46:37 AKDT 2003

Troy:
Please email me off list.
Thanks.
Bill

billpritch at yahoo.com

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Troy Newman
  To: discussion at nsrca.org
  Cc: Jeff Hill ; Don Ramsey ; Tony Stillman
  Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 5:15 PM
  Subject: Re: Number into Finals

  Ron Van Putte and NATS management team,

  For verification...you mentioned 20% was the number for the finals per the FAI rules.....

  Here is the quote from the rule book

  "....The top one third, but not more than 30 competitors, will then have two additional semi-final flights flying the known finals schedule. The total of the best three preliminary flights (normalised again to 1000 points) will count as one score along with the two semi-finals scores to provide three scores, the best two to count for semi-finals classification. The top ten competitors of the semi-finals will then have four additional flights to determine the individual winner. Two final flights will be the current known finals schedule and two will be unknown schedules (see Annex F) flown one time each. The known and unknown schedules should be flown in alternating sequence. The best score from the known schedule will be combined with the best score from the unknown schedules for final classification. In the case of a tie the semi-final score will be used to decide the higher classification."

  So if we assume that the F3A US National Championships is really a Semi finals then the top 1/3 of pilots can fly in it.....Since we have 25 pilots this past NATS  this means we take 8.33 pilots into the "semi-final" which means that 9 pilots fly the "semi finals"....or another way to look at it the US National Championships is a prestigious event that should require a finals be flown......This means that you take the top 10 period....It says nothing in the rules about a 20% rule......As for this years NATS being too easy to make the finals...They followed the rules......Finals are the top 10 flyers......The Matrix system is what let us deviate from the semi-final rounds...Let us not take the finals and make new rules for them also!

  Just my reading of the rules.

  By the way that's section 5.1.9 of the 2001 edition of the Sporting code which is in effect at this time....This is the book we are bound by for this season.

  Troy Newman