Multi Blade Props at Nats

David Lockhart DaveL322 at comcast.net
Wed Jul 23 08:43:32 AKDT 2003

Wayne,

I have spoke to APC on several occasions - it is very unlikely that any
additional 3 blade props will be added to the line in the near future.
Production costs on the 3 bladers is much higher and the sales volumes
on them is much lower (think order of magnitude lower).  Of course, if
enough people inquired about the 3 blade, and promised to buy
them.........

I have not personally spent much time with the Mintor 170 - but from
what I have seen, I think the 3 blade would likely work very well - at
11 or 12 pitch for sure, and maybe at a 13 pitch (depending on what
exhaust system and tune length, fuel, density altitude, etc).

At the Team Trials, Jason ran a 15.75-12 3 blade (repitched by me) on
his OS160FI and it worked quite well - I believe he had also tried the
stock 15.75-13 and found it performed well, but was a bit quick for his
taste in the downlines of the FAI schedules (likely not a problem for
any of the other schedules).

So far as 3 blades versus 4 - all other things being equal, increasing
the number of blades should reduce prop efficiency - other factors
(airfoils and planform of prop, torque curve of engine, etc) may make
the comparison difficult, however.

Regards,

Dave