fixed gear vs. retracts

Del Rykert drykert at rochester.rr.com
Wed Jul 23 17:52:59 AKDT 2003

I found once I practiced slow flying my pattern bird at low altitude my landings become much more graceful. Have a reliable running engine and not on the last fumes if you practice this but it makes you learn your planes just above stall speed behavior and how to use rudder to steer and not rely on ailerons. Using light aileron can cause you to drop a wing as it forces a wing to stall while other one stays flying. Full scale pilots learn this with their short field runway work and when exploring the bottom of the envelope.

     Del K. Rykert
     AMA - 8928
     NSRCA - 473
     Kb2joi - General