2004 Nat's finals for lower classes

Jerry Budd jbudd at QNET.COM
Sun Jul 20 13:41:28 AKDT 2003

>Ron
>OK
>Another Question Did anyone who was in the finals, who would have
>been cut if 20% would have been used this year end up above the 20%
>group had it been used this year?
>Just curious
>Buddy

I did.  I qualified 9th in Masters and finished 7th.

Rusty Fried qualified 10th and finished 6th.

Based on the ~40 entrants in Masters both Rusty and I would have been
left out of the finals.

Nonetheless, I support the idea of a fixed number, or a % of the
total entrants, whichever is greater.

The bigger issue is that it needs to be discussed, and decided upon
in advance of the contest.  When some of the Masters competitors
inquired as to how many competitors would be carried into the finals
they were told "at least 8, maybe more".  That seemed to violate the
most basic of tenents for running a contest which is that you publish
the rules in advance.  You don't make it up as you go.

So for Masters next year I would propose 8 or 20% of the total
Masters entrants, whichever is greater.

Jerry
--
Jerry Budd