2004 Nat's finals for lower classes

Ron Van Putte vanputte at nuc.net
Sun Jul 20 10:02:09 AKDT 2003

BUDDYonRC at aol.com wrote:

> Ron
> Since you mentioned next year I have a Question/Suggestion/Proposal.
> Why do we not have final's for Intermediate and Advanced classes?
> I think not having finals leaves the impression that Intermediate and
> advanced class pilot's are someway inferior. I hereby suggest that
> they be added to next year's Nat's.
> Site four is not being used on final's day and could be used for lower
> class finals.
> Having finals in the Intermediate and Advanced classes would in my
> opinion increase participation and also give the pilot who somehow had
> a bad day like Chip Hyde had this year a chance to come back and win.
> I know this would increase the staff work load but we are NSRCA
> members to and deserve equal treatment even though we have not
> progressed enough in our flying skills to qualify as Masters pilots.
> I would like to hear responses Pro and Con on this subject.

I have been thinking about having a finals in Intermediate and Advanced
for several years.  The only negatives I can think of involves the
people to run it.  We can probably get site workers who are willing to
stay around for an additional day (that we'd have to remunerate).  The
real problem I can see is the judges.  We could have the Intermediate
pilots fly first and, if we couldn't get qualified judges, have the
Advanced finalists judge them.  We'd have to convince some qualified
Master class pilots to stay and judge the Advanced pilots.  I would only
consider having the top 20% (rounded up) in the finals.  Based on this
year's enrties, that would be 3 Intermediate and 6 Advanced finalists.
 It's worth considering.

Ron Van Putte