2003 Nationals and F3A

Troy Newman troy_newman at msn.com
Fri Jul 18 18:21:09 AKDT 2003

I vote we run the whole event also!

Like the Unknowns....This way we can give those of us working our way up a
chance to compete with the previous team members and TOC pilots.....By
running the entire F3A event at the US National Championships it would
develop better pilots and a possible change the status quo! Those guys that
have been exposed to unknowns over the last 5-10yrs at the TOC have elevated
the bar....now its time to carry the entire event into the NATS.

Experience in this type of format can only help the future of F3A in the
USA.  If the NSRCA is about promoting the quality of flying precision
aerobatics maybe this is a good place to look.....In the past many modelers
have looked at the TOC as the pinnacle of RC aerobatics.....Maybe the
National Championships and F3A can take back some of the lost prestige and
fill a huge void left over from the TOC.....Seems as though are fellow
aerobatics guys on the IMAC side of the isle are also having a tough time
with numbers and the NATS....Perhaps its time to look to help both groups
together!

Just maybe its a chance to put Pattern type models and precision flying back
in front of the AMA and back in from of the average modelers....The purpose
of the new F3A rules of 3 years ago was to inspire interest and sex appeal
in the event...Maybe just maybe we could use the event as it is intended for
World and Continental Championships and it might bring about a level of
mystique and raise the bar to all those guys that want to follow in the foot
steps of Hanno, Chip, Dave Brown, Tony Frak, Don Lowe, and now Don Szczur
along with many of the other National champions that have celebrated the
taste of victory and the title of National Champion. People gravitate
towards Excellence and stray away from the same old same old.....Look at how
many pilots stayed to watch the finals...bunches and bunches.....These were
the guys that either didn't make the cut or are the ones flying Int and
Advanced...they are starving to see the best flying....They want to be
inspired....They want to look at goals...and they want to aspire to
glory.....Lets stir the pot a little and try to generate some more
"Excellence", some more perfection, and a higher level of skill for the guys
taking on the world....I always hear that its the same guys that do the TOC
and the US Team and the finals at the NATS.....Well guys....If you work hard
and Aspire to Excellence it can bring you success....I attest to that this
year for sure!

Another addition would be the Artistic Aerobatics or a freestyle event that
could be entered by any NATS competitor...Perhaps have categories like
Intermediate, Advanced, Masters, and F1G(F3A guys) this way the guys in
Intermediate are not intimidated by flying against Chip or Quique......

Just my 2 cents

Troy Newman