fixed gear vs. retracts

Nik Middleton middletn at spinmail.com
Fri Jul 18 05:55:22 AKDT 2003

While it's true that at comps the plane's carried out, I spend far more time
at the practice field.  I find it helpful not to have to ask someone to
carry it for me.  Still it's only a slight bonus.  However I do find fixed
gear better at handling slightly longer grass.  I don't recall having to
straiten my fixed gear, but I know that with retracts I had to check them
every few flights.  Still miss putting the gear up though, nothing like a
slow low pass with gear up.

rgds