fixed gear vs. retracts

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Thu Jul 17 16:43:36 AKDT 2003

Thanks John.

Nat and computers do not mix unfortunately
. I have no pointer to give except how he described them to me.

The carbon tubing
 is standard .230"x.130" stock tubing from CST Sales and the fairing material
is thin plastic stock from Sullivan. These are simply superglued in place.
They are thin enough to be flexible apparently and the carbon is flexible enough
in 10 inch strut length, to make a good package. The carbon tube only has a
130 ID which means a 1/8" axle.

The mount couldn't be simpler: a short length of Dave Brown arrow shaft
serves as socket. It is mounted onto a 3/32" ply plate, flat against the plate with
Kevlar binder thread. He mounts his plates in the wing usually, vertically,
with the correct rake angle built in, and Pro Bond's them in. The socket
extends about an inch below the wing's surface and accepts the strut with a little
flex ca holding them in.

Simple and effective with minimum fuss and very low cost. His planes are
around 8 pounds but no reason this couldn't hold at least 25% heavier models. He
has yet to break one; the flex ca holding the strut in, does fine he sez.

regards

Matt