fixed gear vs. retracts

GeorgeF. av8tor at flash.net
Thu Jul 17 05:16:17 AKDT 2003

At 08:39 PM 7/16/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>The composite fixed gear designs of today are quite the overkill in terms
>of strength, rigidity and weight. They could be made far lighter, less
>rigid and cheaply enough where, as they break on a hard landing, simply
>pull the pieces out and toss them

If people would learn how to land then strength wouldn't be a problem.  It
surprises me to hear people say they liked fixed gear better because they
were bending/breaking retracts.

Can anyone truthfully say that fixed gear look better?  Thought pattern was
about smooth, graceful, and looking goood?

Been into R/C since 1983.  I have YET to break a gear and only ever bent
one gear ever so slightly.  99% of my flights were off grass fields and
some of them were pretty rough.  No I didn't use oversized balloon tires, I
used small chrome weeks with foam tires.

I guess maybe the maneuver of the month should be LANDINGS?

George
http://www.MilAirComms.com

# discussion-request at nsrca.org