fixed gear vs. retracts

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Wed Jul 16 16:39:54 AKDT 2003

The composite fixed gear designs of today are quite the overkill in terms of
strength, rigidity and weight. They could be made far lighter, less rigid and
cheaply enough where, as they break on a hard landing, simply pull the pieces
out and toss them.

My good friend Nat Penton is using regular carbon tubing material for the
struts, and uses a short piece of aluminum rod epoxied in the tube, to serve as
wheel axle. A quick wrapping of kevlar thread, super glued on the carbon tube
where the axle in epoxied, keeps the tube intact.

He is reporting that the struts weigh in at less than 1 oz for both, with the
farings installed to a fully airfoiled section, without the wheels. The
length is 10 inches.

Matt

PS- I prefer retracts to fixed gear for pattern planes except they are too
heavyat around 6 ozs sans wheels.

My composite gear that I make, come in at about 4 ozs with pants, for the
pair, sans wheels, but will be using Nat's technique to reduce the weight further
with little compromise in strength. I'll probably write about it for the KF.
If you have been following my writings you should have learned that I have
been keeping no secrets.

> Subj:Re: fixed gear vs. retracts
> Date:7/16/2003 12:31:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:tkeithb at comcast.net">tkeithb at comcast.net</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:discussion at nsrca.org">discussion at nsrca.org</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>

> It wasn't that long ago that I was asking the same question on this list. I
> ended up going with retracts for three reasons. 1) Less bounce on landings,
> 2) Transportation and storage (no gear sticking out from fuse), and 3)
> Landings in the weeds are less likely to tear something up. All of these are major
> considerations for me.
>
> Now I'm building my second 2M plane and I've decided to go with fixed gear
> for the following reasons. 1) Putting the plane together and taking it apart
> at the field is faster, no need to mess with hooking up the retract servo. 2)
> You can set the fuse on the ground and slap the wings on right by the car, no
> need to use a cradle as with retracts. 3) No need for constant
> inspection/tweaking with the struts. Even with smooth landings I periodically have to bend
> the struts back forward and I feel compelled to check them after each flight
> to avoid having them jam and draining the battery the next time I fly. 4)
> Makes the wings much easier to build. 5) When flying in poor light conditions,
> like when the plane is silhouetted by the sun, the gear sticking out gives
> another reference point to confirm orientation. This can be helpful when doing
> rolls, etc. and all you can see is a shadow. 6) With fixed gear you can taxi
> onto the runway and not carry the plane out each time.
>
> Both approaches have their definite advantages. My main reservations with
> changing to fixed gear are damaging the fuse from deadsticking landings in high
> grass and scoring downgrades due to bounced landings. Hopefully these won't
> be a big issue. I'm looking forward to my fixed gear plane!
>
> Keith Black

>>> gear. Unfortunately, it is harder to work and not nearly as available as
>>> 6061.